“UTM” stands for “Urchin Tracking Module.” UTM Parameter is a tag that you add to the end of the URL that allow you to track each specific instance of a link. When your link has been clicked on, the tags are sent back to Google Analytics and tracked.
Step 1: Integrate Google Analytics into your website
- Create a free Google Analytics Account using your website’s URL(s)
Step 2: Setting up links and enabling UTM tracking
- For PRO users, go to Short link & UTM page under the account section
- For Enterprise users, go to Short link & UTM in Teams & Brands selecting the brand you are managing
- Click to select a URL shortener
- Click to select Network to type the parameters and click on Update
For Enterprise user, based on permission level, team members can access Short link & UTM
Keep in mind that you should always be using campaign medium, campaign name, and campaign source for tracking.
Use utm_source to identify a search engine, newsletter name, or other source.
Use utm_medium to identify a medium such as email or cost-per- click. Example: cpc
Used for keyword analysis. Use utm_campaign to identify a specific product promotion or strategic campaign.
Note: Campaign Name can replaced with MavSocial Campaign Name after Publishing / Saving / Scheduling done. Once post is created, UTM Parameters can’t be changed.
3. Use URL Parameters in your social media posts
- Create your post by selecting a social network and entering your post
- Click Add a link and publish post
- You would then be able to track your custom URL Parameters in Google Analytics